Friday, November 9, 2012

You Do What?!

I hear that phrase a lot after I tell people I knit and crochet

You? Really? Hm...wouldn't have pictured that. 

Do I not look or act like someone who knits?? What would that person look like? Old, chunky, grandmaish?

Anyway, stereotypes aside, I love it! I had a friend who invited me over for a playdate and while the kiddos played she taught me how to cast on, knit and purl (the essentials of knitting). I did the knit stitch for an entire project, hated the project, but felt good about my "knitting" skills. I set the hobby aside for a year and then got really serious about it last winter. It was a challenge I had to accomplish. It drove me crazy that I couldn't ever "finish" a project or would get stuck when I didn't understand the instructions on a pattern.

Then I found youtube and I'm a changed woman. I realized I'm a very visual learner and have a hard time following a written pattern. I need to see it! Youtube has great tutorials from some very, young and hip, knitters and crocheters. Here's my latest project. This I actually crocheted. I made it for Chase and Sara's baby, coming this January!! 

Baby hat and baby cocoon. 

Little bear posing in the outfit:)

I've done a few other scarfs and I recently finished a couple ear warmers (by request). The only problem - I get so obsessed with projects that I can't stop. I want to start and finish and until I do, I can't think about anything else. Nothing - cleaning, cooking, showering, nothing. Then, when I'm done, I can't start a new project until I feel like it again. Usually a cold day will bring on the urge. 


No comments: