Thursday, September 29, 2011

Ham! Ham! Ham is everywhere!

So, based on the title of this blog, I bet you can already tell I'm going to be writing about HAM! We're a bacon and sausage lovin' family. Big fans of Saturday and Sunday morning breakfasts that force you to skip lunch and eat dinner at 4 pm:) So, we butcher a pig a couple times of year. The bacon and sausage last a couple months. Then our freezers are full of HAM!! I don't know what to do with all this boned ham, sliced ham, cured ham, smoked ham, HAM, HAM, HAM!! I like ham, don't get me wrong, I just don't know how to many anything with ham, except scalloped potatoes and ham. Actually, that's a lie, I don't make that, Cody does. It's awesome too. He uses a different recipe every time he makes it.

So, I'm on a mission to gather some recipes that involve ham:) Below is my first attempt at ridding my freezer of the pounds and pounds of ham that has been collected.

I will also spend a couple days, when it gets cold, making and freezing dishes. Preferably dishes that involve ham. On my list: ham, potato and corn chowder and ham and bean soup. I also plan to just cook a bunch of ham, chop it up and freeze it so it's there when I want to whip up a delicious meal of...HAM!!

Jalapeno Macaroni and Ham Casserole (my kids are gonna love it, not!)

What You Need

2 pkg. (7-1/4 oz. each) KRAFT Macaroni & Cheese Dinner
1 Tbsp. oil
15 slices OSCAR MAYER Deli Fresh Honey Ham, chopped
1 small red onion, finely chopped
2 jalapeño peppers, seeded, chopped
2 clove garlic, minced
4 eggs, beaten
4 KRAFT Big Slice Pepper Jack Cheese Slice, coarsely chopped
18 RITZ Crackers, crushed (about 3/4 cup)
1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped

Make It

HEAT oven to 350ºF.

PREPARE Dinners in large saucepan as directed on package. Meanwhile, heat oil in medium skillet on medium heat. Add ham, onions, peppers and garlic; cook 5 min., stirring frequently.

ADD ham mixture to Dinners with eggs and chopped cheese; mix lightly. Mix cracker crumbs and parsley; stir half into Dinner mixture. Spoon into 2-qt. casserole sprayed with cooking spray; top with remaining crumb mixture.

BAKE 35 min. or until center is set and casserole is heated through.

I'll let you know how it turns out. FYI, I won't force my children to make this. Maybe just pull out a little of the mac and cheese and nuke a corn dog:)

No comments: